Here at One Book Lane we are huge fans of Liz Earle’s skincare range and we can’t wait to get our hands on her brand new book, Skin.
Liz’s 6-week programme will nourish your skin from the inside out. Each week focuses on a different aspect of skincare, from detox and exfoliation, cleansing and healing, to nourishing, balance and, finally, radiance and maintenance. This is the only book you will ever need to transform your skin so that it radiates youth and good health. And if we end up with skin as glowing and radiant as the lady herself, we’ll be happy!
The programme is accompanied by 80 delicious and easy recipes to prove that what you put in your body is just as important for your skin as what you put on it. Here’s a sneak peek at one of the delicious low-carb, low-sugar recipes from the book which will help you to start eating for better skin.
Blackberry, Hazelnut and Spelt Cake Bites
There is a small amount of honey in these delicious little bars but no refined sugar. Most of the sweetness comes from the fresh and dried fruit. Well wrapped, these keep well for about five days or you can pop some in the freezer for another time. They also make a great lunchbox addition.
A little rapeseed or olive oil, for greasing
130g dried, stoned prunes
130ml boiling water
Zest and juice of 1 orange
1 Cox’s apple, cored and finely chopped
100g jumbo or rolled oats
25g set honey
50g olive or rapeseed oil
50g spelt flour
1 tbsp baking powder
50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking parchment.
- Put the prunes into a bowl and pour over the boiling water. Set aside to soak. Mix the orange zest, juice, apple and sultanas together in a separate bowl.
- Put the oats into a mini food processor and whizz to make a fine flour.
- Drain the prunes, reserving the liquid, then whizz in a food processor until smooth. Stir the liquid back in, then spoon this mixture into a sieve resting over a bowl, and use a spoon to extract the purée. You should have 140–160g.
- Whisk the eggs, honey and oil in a bowl until foamy – this will take around 3 minutes, then fold in the prune purée, apple mixture, oats, oil, spelt flour, wheatbran, baking powder and hazelnuts. Fold everything together to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, then scatter over the blackberries.
- Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, then cut into 20 squares and serve.